Thursday, October 13, 2005

Still Waters (reprise)

In an effort to produce shorter, better blogs, I've tried to improve on Monday's post...
Six Inches of Rain in Two Days
Creeks swollen from several days of heavy rains overflowed their banks and swamped bridges here on Saturday. And, every road around here crosses a creek, so it was difficult to get anywhere. My daughter Sarah and I had to get to a baby shower Saturday afternoon. A two-mile trip took twenty minutes. (I've lived here for 20 years. You DON'T drive through the rushing water.)

Allentown Got 10 Inches
The nightmare really began about 6:00 p.m. Sarah had to catch an 8:00 bus in Allentown, and I had to drive her. The plan was to get to Allentown, then have dinner. It should have been a 45-minute drive. But, the usual roads out of Spring Mount were all swamped (I tried five, and the last one worked). So, a half-hour later, I was heading due west, to go north east. I drove many miles out of my way, out and around the creeks. The road crossed a causway over a large reservoir, but it proved high enough.

After an hour, we were still far from the bus. We ate fast food while driving through Quakertown. Rte 309 north of Quakertown was flooded then finally closed. We were detoured east, but we still needed to go north. And, without a map! Would we make the bus? We opted for the Hellertown station; it had a later pick-up. We finally pulled in. It was now 8:00; the bus showed up at 8:30. Kisses and hugs; Sarah's on the bus.

The Fun Drive Back
OK. A visit to Wendy's rest room, then a cup of coffee and an Eagles CD So, I need to go south, and 309 is closed southbound in several places. (Even the detour wouldn't help.) I cursed my husband, to whom I would normally have relegated this horrific drive. In the rain, in the dark. (He was away for the weekend.) I headed north. Cedar Crest Boulevard west; south on Rte 29. Then, Rte. 663 back across the reservoir (thank God for elevated roads). Home in record time, kind of. Did the whole 1.5-hour round trip in 3.5 hours, and was only a little worse for the wear. Funny thing about those creeks. Most of the time you don't notice them, then they creep up on you all at once. Next time, Sarah will call in to work sick.

More to Come This Week?
At least some people are optimistic...

From more than 1,000 words to about 400. Not bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home