Sunday, October 09, 2005

Ugly Websites

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...
OK, so I wasn't the first in the class to post bad websites. The trouble is, I use the sites I use, good or bad, because I have to, and I don't have time to sit and surf the Web, so I really don't have a bunch of bad ones sitting around waiting to be discussed. I agree some bad ones are out there, and it's interesting in class to look at them. But, how to find some really bad sites quickly, in order to contribute? Google "ugly websites," of course. And, here are a few sites that discuss them:

http://www.uglywebdesign.com/hall_of_shame/Hall_of_Shame.htm (terrible writing)

http://www.neoflux.com/archive/data/2002/0416-200445.shtml (terrible writing)

http://www.123live.co.uk/examples-of-bad-website-design.htm

What struck me when reading the copy on these sites, though (in addition to the ugly sites they discuss, of course), was the ugly writing. These people have the moxie to criticize the design of other sites, and they themselves can't even write. Take "uglywebdesign," for instance: "Yes, that what it means so be aware UglyWebdesign.com is monitoring the Web. This is a Screenshot of the website and how it look-liked when we awarded it. We take Screenshot of all the awarded sites as they might change in the future." I'm not making this up. Is this translated from Japanese or something? Here are "neoflux's" comments: "I'm always suprised when I visit a big-time author's website and find it to be rather unattrative. Although I'm not sure why it continues to suprise me since I can't think of a single author I enjoy who does have a nice looking website...." Might we want to use spellcheck? It would surprise everyone and make that site more attractive, for sure!

The third site, 123Live, is a commercial one, but it does have a more intelligent approach. I liked the sample sites (they took the tack of showing "good sites"—theirs, and the Tony Blighe letter made a lot of sense (sounding like chapters from hot text). The letter was also written in intelligent, grammatically correct, and well-spelled and punctuated English, and I was able to read it without getting hung up on missing commas and misspelled words. I wonder if that had anything to do with it...

(Of course, after writing this, I was obligated to read through it again. I wouldn't want anyone getting hung up on misspelled words or missing commas, or anything.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home