Wednesday, November 16, 2005

One Bad Week: A Personal Blog

Okay. I ended up with a job interview this morning. I really needed that, with my website due and many problems to resolve. Preparing for the interview made it almost impossible to concentrate on working out the bugs in my site. The job I was applying for was a stretch. So, for a while I concentrated on brushing up on (aka learning) anything related, to wow them with all my knowledge. It was a lot of work. I stayed up late doing nails, picking out clothes, checking out industry websites, reviewing my script, and bouncing back and forth between that and my website. I hardly slept.

In the end, I decided to be honest. To try to convince them that although my current knowledge in the area was limited, I was enthusiastic and resourceful and could do the job. Because I was already in-house, I was the better bet. By 9:30 this morning, it was all over. I think it went well, but let's just say they didn't offer me the job on the spot.

It was a busy morning. Staff lunch with the association president. She rolled out the new strategic plan. No lunchtime with my website for me. Back to my office about 1:45. At least I'll take a peak at my webpages, to get some ideas. I stopped to ask my boss if I could work at home tomorrow. If I cut out commuting time, I could probably finish up my site. I was going to need every minute. The tables are nesting within tables. The division class isn't working. Neither are my CSS codes, at least not all the time. (Don't ask me. It all made sense when we went over it.)

My boss delivered the coup de grace. The HR person appeared and closed the door. Not a good sign. My job will be gone, come end of December. I had been afraid of this. The new strategic plan reduced work in my department, and I was the last one on board. A lot of what I was doing was being phased out. I had been waiting to see if they came up with new work and hoping for the best. Hey, one can always hope, right?

No such luck. I went into shock, I think, looking at the termination letter in front of me. My daughter's tuition bill is due in January, and I am going to be out of work. And, after two years at DIA, I'm going to have to start all over again somewhere else. I cried a little. I told a few people. Boss said I could leave early. I packed up my things. Gotta get home to my website.

OK. Here I am. My eyes are swollen. My brain is fried. A great condition to be in to work out bugs in html code. Wish me luck...

2 Comments:

Blogger bitch. redefined. said...

ugghhh. you are quite a trooper.

i would have gone home, said f- the site and spent quality time with mssrs. ben & jerry. we'll talk tonight if you're up for it.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Lauren D. McKinney said...

Oh, sh--. I'm sorry. Well, maybe they'll give you that other job, right?

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home