Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Class Reunion

We all have to deal with it...
Notification
Life is going along pretty smoothly, you think. But, then you get the notice. They used to come by snail mail; now they come by email. Your impending class reunion. Happens every 10 years or so, or at least for my high school class. And, high school is the worst because you were so young at the time.

Curiosity
I can't be bothered to go to my college reunion. Too few friends in my own class; too little contact with people since we graduated. Too big of a class. Anyway, I was a transfer student. But, about high school, first you think, I've changed so much since high school. I'll bet everyone else has, too. And, that's a good thing, too. In high school I cared way too much what people thought—to the point where it would paralyze me. I've spent my whole life overcoming that. I think I could actually go and relax and have a good time.

In high school, we all categorized one another: Oh, he's a jock, she's a brain, he's a druggie. We didn't find everyone unique and therefore interesting We didn't know that we can't force each other into neat compartments, just so we can dismiss each other. I find now that I'm curious, that I'd like to get to know the people I went to school with. I'm sure now that we have so much in common: school, jobs, kids, aging parents, hobbies, just how to cope with life in general.

Preparation
OK, so I've decided to go. I get in touch with my best friend from high school. We decide to take the spouses with us this time. (Mine is tall and thin and has all his hair; I want to show him off.) I respond in the affirmative for me and spouse. I send in the check. Should I track down people I'm wondering most about—those who haven't made any of the reunions—or just wait and see if they show up?

What to wear? I decide I want to get dressed up, but not overdo it. Something classy but cool, a sheath dress, maybe, with new beads. What color? Can I find one in time? How about the old bedroom closet? I must have something in there that I can wear...

The hair. Should I get a root perm? The end of the summer perm that I have on the top of my head right now just won't cut it. I want to look my best. I go get the perm. The color? My own: naturally "frosted."

Past Reunions
The 10th was bad. My shy husband sat at a table alone while I made some rounds. He didn't know anyone and I didn't want to leave him for too long. I was pregnant. Not very pregnant, mind you (pregnant enough to look pregnant), but just pregnant enough to look like I had gained weight. Someone dropped flaming drinks on the dance floor, and almost burned down the restaurant. The class slut left in a limo with the football team. Except for the size of my abdomen, not much had changed.

The 20th was much better. I went with my best girlfriend from high school. I left hubby home, much to his relief. For several weeks before the event, I worked out and starved myself. Then, I squeezed my butt into a short little size-6 skirt, in my favorite color. I went without my glasses. We danced; we drank. I made friends with women I didn't know very well in high school, and we all exchanged addresses. I told off one of my high school tormentors. I politely informed another guy, one who snubbed me in high school, then married someone else and had since broken up with her, and who was expressing interest in me now, that I was happily married and had been for 15 years. The guys were all getting fat and bald, but the women were looking pretty good. The competition was stiff. The women who were high-falutin' lawyers and doctors at the 10th, when the rest of us were having morning sickness, were now all exhausted, complaining about their kids. My kids were already older and I was back to work, building my career. Life was good. Oh, did I mention, I threw up all night? In some ways, it was pretty much like old times, but it still was better.

This Time Around...
Now it's time for the 30th. When they skipped the 25th, I figured the class officers fell apart somehow and there would be no more reunions. But, they must have rallied, for I got their email. This time, I hope we're all past the competition, the pettiness, and the angst, and can truly enjoy one another. After all, we all grew up together in a certain small town at the Jersey shore. I still love that place and have waxed more nostaglic about it over the years. I want to get to know more of my classmates,to make up for not knowing them in high school. I want to see pictures of their kids, hear about their jobs, read their bios in the reunion program. What have these people been up to in the last 30 years? I'm ready to have a good time, too. Much more ready than I was 30 years ago. Hey, I just put my kids through college. Maybe somebody there with high-schoolers can use a few tips...

<

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home